Sunday 13 October 2013

New Project

When our neighbourhood clinic opened, my friend and I went and fixed up their computer systems. It wasn't anything fancy, just hooking up the printer and setting up Excel for data management (Patients data, number of checkups etc.). The doctor is a neighbour and we call him "Odi" (Elder Brother).

He once told me about a software one of the major Hospitals in the city was using. He was impressed by one of the features of the software that the doctors could see the pharmaceutical supplies available in the pharmacy on their office computer. It also tells them when supplies were low. But it was extremely expensive and required special technicians to install (yup, sounds expensive).

I told him about the program I made for my friend's shop, but it was missing the networking feature. He asked me if i could make him a program that will allow him to see the supplies available in his pharmacy from his cabin computer. For some reason, I thought it would require network programming which I could't do, so I told him no.
Recently I figured out that I don't need to network program. All I need is a windows network and I can Read and Write from one location. I told him a couple of days back that it is possible, and I could write him a program that can do those things for him.

I fix everybody's computers for free, as long as it doesn't require me to buy parts. He offered me money for the program, which I refused, as C is my hobby and I would enjoy doing it. He insists on paying me, so maybe if he does give me some I'll accept...my first paid programming project...
I've made sure to keep the expectations low ("It's going to be black and grey....it's not going to look very pretty"), he doesn't care, he just wants it to do what he requires. Good :)

So here's what I'm thinking the program will do:
1. Input, edit inventory.
2. Warning when stock reaches a predefined low.
3. Send the inventory to a text file (to print, transfer etc.).
4. One screen will be a static of current stock with a search field. The doctor can use this screen to view the pharmaceutical inventory.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment