Friday 9 August 2013

Why Programming Is Difficult Initially

Since I started this blog, the stats tell me that I have an all time view of 1300+. This is not something I anticipated, but I guess it is nice to have people viewing your blog.

I have been scratching at Windows Programming for a while now and I have to admit it is a lot more difficult than I thought.

But drawing a comparison between C and Windows, I think C is a bit more difficult to learn.
The problem seems to be in the way the lessons are presented.

I do not understand one word of what is explained in tutorials. The technical jargon thrown at me is overwhelming. This may be simple stuff for people who have a teacher explaining things to them, classmates who can help, people who have mastered other languages and "Handle to the programs executable" is second nature to them and when they read it they go "Ah! I see".

The reason I could even learn a bit of C is because I started with C For Dummies (Vol 1), and Dan Gookin is one heck of an author. He never forgot for the entirety of the book that I would not not understand if he said "It will return NULL." and left it there. But every time he presented a new term, he takes some time to explain it in simple terms. His site has a regular supply of short and interesting programs (http://www.c-for-dummies.com/cfordummies/).

Even when we have learnt a new technical word, it takes some time for it to become second nature. Like right now, if someone told me about a program "No, that is not the entire program, it is only the function", I probably would know what he meant, but back when I had just learnt it, if I heard the same lines, it would take me some thinking to figure out what he meant.

So I think, the reason people think programming is hard is only because the lessons presented are put in words too difficult for laymen to understand. Heck, if I can make the computer say "Hello World" anybody can.

No comments:

Post a Comment